Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First 5K of the Season

Well, we completed our first 5K on the weekend with our NEW running technique!!  The result? 9 minutes off of my time from last year!!!  But what's even better is that I'm not completely crippled and dead like I was last year!!!

Last year, I thought I was going to die by the time I got to the first km marker. By the time I got to the end, I was truly dead. My legs felt like lead-filled sausages and I didn't think that I'd ever feel better. And then, it took weeks before my knees weren't swollen and painful.

But this year, my focus was "keep it light and easy". And that's what I did. When I was running, it really did feel like I was floating. I walked off and on as well. But the running was nice and effortless. And as I ran across the finish line, it was still light and effortless!!

After I stopped running, my legs felt light and airy - kind of like when you put your arms in a doorway and push up and then you step out of the doorway and they float up... that's what my legs felt like.. Imagine!!

My calves and the bottoms of my feet were a little sore later that day - but calcium and a hot bath took care of most of it. Two days later, as I write this, my calves are now telling me off. But nothing serious. I'll just wait to run again until tomorrow.

This is such an amazing running style for me!!!  There were lots of tall skinny guys in shorts at the 5K that are perfectly happy with their heel-striking running. But for me, this minimalist running is the way!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!! A coach once told me "when you finish a race, your time and position don't matter, what matter's is whether you finished with a smile and more motivation to plan for your next event...". It seems like you finished with a gold.

    ReplyDelete