Monday, August 1, 2011

Reborn: from "Runner" to "Barefoot Runner"




There have been many new adventures underfoot, not the least of which has been discovering the world anew through the experiences of "barefoot Milan". While I have been "forefoot running" for over a year, my own adventures in full barefoot (unshod) running coincidentally began around the same time my son Milan was born. Like a newborn's learning which ocurs in leaps and bounds, bearing my feet to the streets of Goderich has completely blown open my experience and relationship to running - which is to say I do NOT consider myself a "runner", but more correctly a "barefoot runner". While there are similarities in these two tribes the differences are more pronounced.




"Runners" are a driven, focused and dedicated tribe, often seeking to overcome "perceived" short-comings and weaknesses experienced within their anatomy and physiology in search of elusive "times", "paces" and "splits" while covering specifically measured distances (5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon also known as "26.2" for the indoctrinated). This is to say the "runner" lives within the carefully circumscribed and quantitative world of schedules, plans and training that can be detailed in numbers and other "measurables". This external focus has discrete advantages that have been laregly responsible for the meteoric rise of this "tribe" in preceeding generations - namely the ability to "improve" one's ability to run. The disadvantage has been the almost equally meteoric rise in the numebr of casualties resultant from this external focus on achieving discrete goals at the expense of feet, knees and hips employed in the task. Along the way the runner employs all matter of technology toward their goals - stability running shoes, knee braces, cushioning, anti-inflammatories, massage devices, interval timers, GPS tracking devices, high-tech fiber clothing, hydration systems, nutrition formulas ..etc. Whatever the "technology" its purpose is to improve, correct or aid in bringing the runner closer to their "goal". Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the tribe of the runner. I have great admiration for the 4 minute mile, the 2 hour marathon, the sub 6min/mile pace and all manner of covering all measure of distance in times that confound rational explanation. These "runners" are a rare few unfortunately and my concern lies with the marose carnage of those who fail along the way requiring surgeries, prosthesies and lives encumbered by disability, pain and alienation of the very anatomy and physiology they counted on.




I am NOT a "runner", but I have many friends who are runners, and there are many runners I admire for their accomplishements and physiologic ability. I do not ever see myself in their "ranks" but am grateful for their collective experience and wisdom which has informed and often inspired me.




The tribe of the barefoot runner shares the same fundamental premis of moving over land in a manner of locomotion that is faster and more economic than walking; however the similarity of the barefoot runner to the conventional runner often ends there. The barefoot runner is a strange and often solitary sort, often lacking the same community that commiserates around the trials of "running" that are common to "running groups" and "training" or "injury" forums. the tribe of the barefoot runner carefully and slowly endears themselves to the anatomy that marvelously makes their locomotion possible and magical. This formative bond developes slowly and often in complete ignorance of measured distance or time. Paramount is the "experience" of the bnarefoot runner: the experience of balance, of economy of movement, of tendons and muslces and their interplay with kinetic energy and gravity. the slightest of pain or discomfort is not to be overcome, rather listened to, learned from and internalized in a refinement of technique toward a fundamental experience of moving lightly almost effortlessly with ease and joy in an alchemy of anatomy, physiology and the desire to run the way we were born to run - free and unencumbered. Within this sanctum of experience the "less is more" philosophy reigns supreme. Unlike the tribe of the "runner", the number of barefoot runners grow slowly but steadily and is not mirrored by an equal (or even larger number) of casualties. To fully embrace barefoot running is to do so with the full view of one's life and with the intention to run for life.




I am a "barefoot runner" and intend to remain so for the duration of my life. My "runner" friends look at me quizically sometimes even with disdain. I have moved awayfrom measuring and planning and quietly and intently listen to what my feet have to share - to run more or to run less, faster or slower - all the while "keeping it light, keeping it effortless and turning my attention to the quick grace of movement..."




Like my son who is growing and evolving with his experiences, my own experiences with barefoot running is a kind of "rebirth" of sorts. Call me a zealot if you must, but either way I encourage you to open your mind and I hope your toes will follow.




Keep Rising.....

No comments:

Post a Comment